Animatic - Sequence 1 Shot 3

This shot shows the feather from a rooftop level spiralling down to meet the little girl. I thought this was a nice cut shot to emphasise the magic and wonder of this feather by having it spiral majestically down towards her and have her stare at it the whole way, transfixed on the feather.

Because I wanted to have a rooftop view I needed to draw the background from the top with perspective looking down. I achieved this by drawing the background in two layers, one being the rooftop which would sit above the road level physically in after effects 3d space and would give a realistic camera focus effect to the shot. In photoshop I split the drawing I had done into two layers and ended up with this:












I then took this into after effects and pushed the layers apart and made the camera zoom down slightly into where the girl will later be stood. This would be my backplate for the shot:



I then drew the feather by hand and scanned in to be used in the shot. I drew it slightly curled to the right to emphasise the curve and the feathers motion.



















The final thing I needed to do was take the storyboard roughs I had created for the little girl in this shot and draw over them in Flash and time them out to give me the little girls movement for the shot. I then exported this as an swf file for after effects.


I then went into after effects and imported all of these files. I created the spiralling path for the feather and timed the little girl animation to coincide with the feathers timing:

I had my finished shot: