Animatic - Sequence 4 Shot 4

This was the first shot featuring the character of the gardener. I firstly wanted to have an establishing shot of her doing some gardening to show what she does and why she's there. I wanted all of the garden backgrounds to have a great depth and level of detail to get that really nice aesthetic quality to it. I created this background with many layers to get this depth and detail.

city layer behind window
window layer

gardeners desk

foliage in front of desk

I then took all of these layers and composited them together in after effects to get my background:


I then hand drew the gardener frames and animated them:



In after effects I then composited these together to get my shot.


Once I had edited this into the final animatic I saw that the film was about the feather and setting this character up in the shot was quite confusing. It seemed like we were moving away from the feather and now following this character whereas what I wanted to get across is the sense that the gardener is simply part of this environment.

I wanted to pull the shot in much tighter to just give a sense of the gardener so I needed to redraw everything to get a nicer angle. I couldn't simply zoom in on the first draft, it wouldn't work. Here are the new layers I drew:

the cityscape as seen through the window
window layer

right back foliage layer
left back foliage layer

gardeners desk
plant box and other gardener items
tree in pot and gardener tools on desk

front right foliage layer


front left foliage layer

I then composited the layers together into the final background and moved a camera across:


I then made another animation for the gardener to show her doing more garden tasks close up:


I then composited these together to get my new final shot: