Animatic - Sequence 4 Shots 1, 2 & 3

For these first three shots of the greenhouse, I wanted to create three nice subtle establishing shots of the gardens. I wanted to take three different sections of the garden and have a camera play softly over them whilst some small action takes place and creates a nice break for the viewer from the constant flow of the feather and something visually calming to look at after the factory. I wanted them to reflect the gentle nature of the peaceful gardens.

On my trip to the botanical gardens I took a wealth of photos and these three shots came from those.

Shot 1:

The round nautical window had a nice porthole quality that I loved as well as the steam punk elements I was looking for.


I also wanted to show some outside birds flying past the window. I animated one in flash to be duplicated and put into after effects behind the window:


Once I had put these birds in the shot was complete.


Shot 2:

In this second shot, I wanted to show a looking at the delicate ironwork on the ceiling shot. I wanted to show a wider shot with some bird cages to show this place is also an aviary.

My first task was to create the background using my research as reference again.


I then jumped into flash again to add the overlaying bird cages. I again created 1 to show in the animatic and show a bird flying inside it to give a sense of the birds going about their daily business in their cages. I also want to get a feel of restlessness to show these birds aren't meant to be caged.



I then composited these together to get my final shot:



Shot 3:

This was the simplest of the 3 shots to do, I wanted a nice perspective shot of the greenhouse and show the sunlight filtering through the dust in the room giving this pretty, ethereal shot. I used a shot in my research that inspired this to draw my background. I simply animated a quick dust drop and put it on my background to get this final shot: