Animatic - Sequence 1 Shot 4

This was one of the first shots I started for the animatic as I had drawn a nice sketch of the street as a design that I wanted to work on. I hadn't decided whether or not to do the background in 2D or 3D so I decided to stick with 2D first as it was easier.

Here is the initial background sketch.















I took this into photoshop and did an indepth colour tone pass with photoshops paint tools to get a feel for the film in this animatic.

I then took this into after effects and animated some of the steampunk components to show that I wanted a moving, in depth background scene.


My next step was to animate the girl and mother and then the girl running down the street avoiding the crowd in flash. I hand drew the keyframes fro the little girl by hand first




I then took these into flash and inbetweened these to get a more fluid motion and blueprint for the final shot. I then hand drew the people for the crowd and composited them into a movie file to be put in the final shot.







I now put them all together in after effects to get my shot.




I then reviewed the shot and saw that 2D really wasn't working well to achieve the depth of the zoom that I wanted. It wasn't moving through space and so I had to use 3D. I built this test house in maya in 3D and textured it using this hand drawn texture.

The house with the handdrawn texture:


I then coloured the texture.

and created this finished text house


Once I had completed this house I used the duplicated tool to create a whole street in maya.


I created a matte painting of a sky in photoshop to finish the street and turn it into more of an environment that I could use for my shot:

Once I had finished my street, I rendered it out in two different ways. Because I wanted it to look more 2D than 3D I used Maya vector to render out a 2D outline for each frame. Here are the two different passes I did for the street

Vector Pass

Texture Pass
My final Composite and test camera:





I then reworked the camera to get the shot I wanted and using after effects composited all of my 2D elements onto this background movie clip. I took some better drawn keyframes from my storyboard and inbetweened those and re animated the cape guy at the end so the cape didn't swish over the camera as i didn't want it to feel as though time had passed.

My final Shot: